Helium Diffusion Sampling
The HDS Personal Monitor simplifies the monitoring of chemicals in the workplace. A breakthrough new technology based on helium diffusion yields a sampler that is small, light weight, cost-effective, universal, and defensible. Above all, the HDS Personal Monitor delivers highly reproducible results unaffected by factors that create errors in other diffusive samplers such as matrix concentrations, varying humidities, and fluctuating face velocities. An HDS sample is collected based upon the higher diffusion rate of helium relative to air, creating a vacuum that pulls air in as helium escapes. A surrogate recovery compound is added to every HDS Personal Monitor to substantiate the collection of a proper sample in the field as well as to prove effective recovery during laboratory analysis.
- A simpler way to collect canister samples is now available
- HDS is less technical and easier to perform accurately and consistently than vacuum sampling with external flow controllers
- Less chance for sample loss, or carryover from a previous sampling event because the flow controlling diffusion path is cleaned and isolated along with the canister
- Flow rates are controlled by physical laws of diffusion. Nothing to calibrate
- Gravimetric determination of amount sampled allows for very accurate dilution calculations
- Built in Surrogate helps to reveal canisters which are no longer inert
Helium Diffusion Sampling Advantages/Disadvantages:
Contact A&B Labs today to schedule your needed analytical services or to learn more about our laboratory.